Friday, July 1, 2016

I am not from this planet...


I've said out loud many times,  "I am not from this planet" which gives whomever I'm with a chuckle. Yet, even as a young child, I had the thought that Earth was not my real home. I often looked to nature for answers to questions that were only partially formed in my little mind, and I spent more time with animals than with people.. Above all, I began probing, something that continues even now, some fifty-odd years later.
Somewhere along the line, I cultivated the practice of holding a particular question in mind as a filter through which to process all experience. This is much like looking at the world through a fixed perspective, like a religious or cultural slant - except that my question lasts only until it is answered; then a new one arises in time. To this day, I regularly shift the point from which I view, and thus repeatedly revise my thinking. Each new truth of the moment stays with me until another perception shoves it out of the way. I used to think it was like looking at reality through a changing kaleidoscope. I now realize I am the changing kaleidoscope, molded by each moment my perception changes. What I observe in one moment is neither more correct nor more elevated than any other view - or any other person's view. I have no interest in taking today's epiphany with me as I continue my journey, just as a hiker doesn't carry in his backpack each stepping stone that has helped him across the river.
From what I now grasp, Earth isn't a real home for any of us. It's a tiny part of a vast holographic projection, an interactive sound stage providing us with opportunities to explore whatever aspect of our infinite nature calls out to us. I often pull back and observe from a higher seat and look down in amusement at the life I pretend to be living. I watch myself getting caught up in mundane minutiae, embroiled by emotion and add in the daily tasks of life. But as long as I can hold some part of my awareness separate from the me that thinks it is having a human experience, the melodrama of a full-fledged Earthling's life is considerably lightened.
Some of the best moments are when I feel a fleeting moment of connectedness to the Divine, or see an image of the solar system, or our Milky Way galaxy. I have looked upon the face of God and witnessed the birth of my children. I have loved more than once with abandon and nurtured many sick plants back to health. I can delight in washing dishes and seeing sparkling clean glasses wink back at me. I am a child in an adult's body and love to play. Even when I am dealing with a heart break, a business commitments, or repetitive chores, I try to find a way to make me feel all of it. The greatest gift is being conscious enough to know I am a part of bearing witness to creation. I, like everyone else on this planet, am writing, directing, producing, playing, and - it would seem - also the audience of this exquisite divine journey called life.

No comments: